Gallery

Driver, accused of leaving boy on bus, appears in Carlton County court | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Published February 07, 2013, 04:58 AM

Driver, accused of leaving boy on bus, appears in Carlton County court

A school bus driver from Mahtowa made his first appearance and was arraigned in State District Court in Carlton on Wednesday on a charge of child endangerment after a 3-year-old boy was left alone on his bus for three hours with temperatures hovering around zero.

By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune

A school bus driver from Mahtowa made his first appearance and was arraigned in State District Court in Carlton on Wednesday on a charge of child endangerment after a 3-year-old boy was left alone on his bus for three hours with temperatures hovering around zero.

Thomas Mitchell Soderholm, 53, is accused of endangering Ty Stiffarm on Jan. 14 by permitting the boy to be placed in a situation “likely to substantially harm the child’s physical, mental or emotional health.” The crime is a gross misdemeanor punishable by a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $3,000 fine, but under state sentencing guidelines it would result in a presumptive probationary sentence.

Soderholm appeared with his Duluth defense attorney Mikkel Long before Judge Dale Wolf. Wolf released the defendant without bond and ordered that he appear in court on March 20 for his next hearing.

Soderholm has no criminal record. According to court records, he had a traffic offense for expired registration in 2000.

According to the criminal complaint:

Fond du Lac reservation law enforcement was informed by the Fond du Lac Transportation Department that the boy had been left on Head Start bus No. 31 after being picked up for school on Jan. 14 but not dropped off at the school. The boy was picked up at his home about 6:55 a.m. that day. At about 11 a.m., a Fond du Lac Transportation employee was walking by the Head Start bus and noticed the boy waving and pounding on a bus window.

The reservation’s transportation department policy is to have a bus monitor ensure that the bus is empty and no children are left behind. Soderholm told investigators that the bus monitor told him the bus was empty.

The investigation revealed that the bus monitor has some cognitive disabilities that were known to Soderholm. The bus monitor admitted to investigators that despite having a policy requiring him to check the bus he might not have done so on the date the boy was left on the bus.

Fond du Lac Chairwoman Karen Diver told the News Tribune that Soderholm is no longer employed by the reservation.

Driver, accused of leaving boy on bus, appears in Carlton County court | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s