Image

Duluth crews clear the flood crud out

Duluth crews clear the flood crud out

Marty DuBois (left) and Mark Tucker, utility operators with the city of Duluth, use tools including long sticks Thursday afternoon to lift and push aside ice to get water flowing in a section of Mission Creek in Fond du Lac. The city has begun dredging the creek to remove sediment and debris left by last June’s flood to avoid reflooding of the neighborhood during this season’s spring runoff. (Bob King / rking@duluthnews.com)
Read the article: Duluth crews clear the flood crud out

Link

12/21/12  Administrative Law Judge rules in favor of PERA reimbursing plaintiffs legal expenses. The total amount to be negotiated.

via City of Duluth Retired Employees.

Our view: Another fallen elected leader can do right | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

A year ago Cook County Attorney Tim Scannell was a hero after being shot and seriously wounded by a sexual predator of young girls he had just successfully prosecuted and who then opened fire in the Cook County Courthouse in Grand Marais. His actions and the actions of others were credited for saving lives.
Last week, Scannell was back in the headlines but hardly as a hero. He was being ordered by the court to stay away from a 17-year-old girl with whom he apparently started a romantic relationship. The petition seeking a
restraining order against Scannell, 46, was signed by the girl’s parents, his one-time friends. The girl’s mother said Scannell came to her workplace this fall to tell her he loved her daughter and that their relationship over the summer had become physical, according to reporting by the News Tribune’s Mark Stodghill.
“But nothing illegal,” Scannell reportedly said to the girl’s mother.
Even if not technically illegal — Minnesota’s age of consent is 16 — Scannell’s relationship with an impressionable, still-maturing minor nearly 30 years his younger is, at the very least, inappropriate. His decision to participate actively in such a relationship is not in line with behavior Cook County voters and constituents can expect and demand from an elected leader, someone supported and trusted by the community and someone who can expect to be held to a higher standard of conduct and a stricter level of scrutiny.
Troublingly, Scannell is just one on a growing list in the past year or so of badly behaving elected Northland leaders, some of whom have owned up to their actions and taken responsibility while others have not. The list includes Duluth School Board member Tom Kasper, who was the subject of an investigation by his employers with the city of Duluth after an undisclosed complaint; Carlton County Attorney Thom Pertler, who pleaded guilty to driving drunk; state Rep. Kerry Gauthier, DFL-Duluth, who stepped away from a bid for re-election after an oral sex scandal involving a boy at a public rest area; and state Rep.-elect Erik Simonson, whose estranged, 20-year-old daughter said during the fall elections that he abandoned her except for financially when she was 2 years old.
Scannell can do the right and responsible thing by not waiting until re-election time for voters to decide whether they want a county attorney with a restraining order against him. He can consider stepping aside now, giving himself time to take stock of decisions he’s making, at least one of which seems, at the very least, inappropriate.

Duluth Building and Grounds Supervisor Resigns Amid Active Complaint | Northland’s NewsCenter: News, Weather, Sports | NBC, CBS, MyNetworkTV, and The CW for Duluth MN / Superior WI | Breaking News

Updated Oct 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM CDT

Duluth, MN (Northland’s NewsCenter) — The Supervisor of Duluth’s Building and Grounds Supervisor has resigned from his position with the city following a complaint filed against him.

City officials confirm that there is an active complaint against Kasper, however could not comment on the nature of the complaint.

News Fast. News First. Subscribe for text alerts, e-news & more.

Officials could also not confirm if this complaint had anything to do with Kasper’s resignation.

Kasper’s last day with the city of Duluth was on September 28th, which is when his resignation was accepted.

Kasper has been with the city of Duluth since 1994.

Kasper serves as the Vice Chair of the Duluth School Board.

via Duluth Building and Grounds Supervisor Resigns Amid Active Complaint | Northland’s NewsCenter: News, Weather, Sports | NBC, CBS, MyNetworkTV, and The CW for Duluth MN / Superior WI | Breaking News.

WDIO.com – Duluth School Board Member Resigns from City Position

Tom Kasper has worked for the City of Duluth since 1995, according to a profile in Duluth Superior Magazine. Kasper is also a Duluth School Board member.

Friday, Kasper resigned from his post as City Building and Grounds Supervisor, according to Duluth City Attorney Gunnar Johnson.

Last month, city officials confirmed that Kasper was not working for the month of September. The city said at the time, they were investigating complaints and charges relating to Kasper, but said that the nature of the complaints would not be made public until disciplinary action, if any, was complete.

With Kasper’s resignation, Johnson said the city will not pursue their investigation because Kasper is no longer a city employee. That means the disciplinary action, if any, is not final. According to state law, that means information in the investigation is not public. Kasper himself has not answered any Eyewitness News requests for comment since the investigation began.

Kasper is also known in the community as a Duluth School Board Member. He’s been on the board since 2009, and is currently serving as Vice Chair. During his time away from his post with the city, Kasper did attend a regular school board meeting in September.

Duluth School District Spokesperson Katie Kaufman said she does not have any information on Kasper’s plans. Eyewitness News calls to Kasper for comment have not been returned.

via WDIO.com – Duluth School Board Member Resigns from City Position.

Duluth Soccer Groups Break Ground on Bob Pratt Pavilion | FOX 21 News, KQDS-DT

DULUTH-At the Jean Duluth soccer field thousands of kids will soon have a new place to hunker–down during bad weather.

Leaders in youth soccer, rotary clubs, and the city of Duluth broke ground at the sprawling soccer complex for a new shelter on Wednesday.

Officials with the Soccer association say the area would have never been developed without Bob Pratt – a tireless volunteer who was diagnosed with cancer.

“Bob, at that point, new that it was not going to be long,” Dave Geary, Executive Director of Arrowhead Youth Soccer, said. “He wasn’t able to do it. It couldn’t happen. But it really inspired a number of us to go to work on this.”

More than 80 community groups will split the $60,000 building’s cost.

via Duluth Soccer Groups Break Ground on Bob Pratt Pavilion | FOX 21 News, KQDS-DT.

WDIO.com – Councilors OK Spending $250K more on Duluth Casino Fight

The City of Duluth has spent about $1 million on an ongoing legal battle over the Fond du Luth Casino. Monday night, councilors voted to spend another $250,000.

The Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa runs the casino, but stopped paying the city to use the space back in 2009.

The Band has said the payments violate the National Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, spurring the legal battle.

via WDIO.com – Councilors OK Spending $250K more on Duluth Casino Fight.